CARBON MONOXIDE TESTING
January is National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month
Please call the specialists at Dean Heating and Cooling to schedule a carbon monoxide check or to install a low-level CO monitor/alarm to detect levels of carbon monoxide that other “standard” detectors won’t detect until it’s too late.
Dean Heating & Cooling is certified for CO (carbon monoxide) detection and prevention.
Ken Dean, President of Dean Heating and Cooling, has been certified by the National Comfort Institute (NCI) to detect and prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
From the NSI Stop Carbon Monoxide website:
Carbon Monoxide is the #1 cause of poisonings in the U.S. Yet less than 5% of all CO Poisonings are reported! The safe and efficient operation of your heating equipment and other combustion appliances cannot be determined without testing using a calibrated combustion analyzer. Because the technology, instruments and training to do this testing correctly has only been available for a few years, odds are it’s never been done. Your service technician should be certified to properly test and diagnose potential CO exposure.
As a consumer you should expect your contractor to be trained in current technology that makes sure you’re heating system is safe, comfortable and efficient. These are probably things you may expect are mandatory, but unfortunately they’re not. The number one benefit of having an NCI Certified CO/Combustion Analyst test your home and appliances for carbon monoxide is his extensive training and knowledge.
Your contractor should be trained to measure the safety and efficiency of all your combustion equipment, even appliances that your contractor doesn’t normally sell or service. Thorough testing can also verify that your equipment is operating at peak efficiency and provide the lowest operating costs. Finally, your contractor should provide you with documentation that explains what he has found and what corrections have been or need to be performed. He should also provide you with material to better educate you about carbon monoxide sources and health effects.
Why do I need a low-level monitor?
The NSI low level monitor senses CO levels as low as 5 ppm (parts per million). Infants, children, elderly, persons with respiratory or heart ailments are provided little or no protection from deadly CO with standard alarms. Longterm exposure to Low-level CO above 15 ppm can cause illness and even permanent disabilities.
What about the other “detectors” sold at retailers and home centers?
Store-bought detectors don’t alarm until unsafe levels of 70 ppm or higher are present at the unit for 3-1/2 hours! By then it may be too late. Plug-in models don’t always allow for proper placement and don’t work during power outages. The NSI 3000 is battery powered for 24/7 protection.